УкраїнськаРусскийEnglish

About Vinnytsia for the Guests of the City

 Vinnytsia's Coat of Arms

Contents


 Vinnytsia's old tower

Vinnytsia is a city located on the banks of the Southern Bug, the administrative center of Vinnytsia Oblast and Vinnystia District, capital of Podillia, important historical and cultural centre, also modern and economical centre of Ukraine. Vinnytsia is situated at a distance of 246 km from Kyiiv (highway E95, М05).

  • Year of foundation: 1355
  • Population: 370318
  • City area: 79,94 км²
  • Geographical coordinates (northern latitude, eastern longitude): 49°14′14″, 28°28′02″ (49.237222°, 28.467222°)
  • City telephone code: +380-432.


Vinnytsia's History

 Map of Podillia, 17th century. Guillaume Le Vasseur de Beauplan

The territory occupied by Vinnytsia had been inhabited since the late Stone Age. Archeologists have found here implements from Bronze Age, attributes of the tribes and early Slavic settlements which were part of Kievan Rus, Kingdom of Galicia–Volhynia. However the year of Vinnytsia foundation is considered to be 1355, as at that time construction of the fortress had begun.

The most probable root of the city name is considered the old Slavonic “вѣно” meaning “dowry”. As the primary name of the city is “Вѣничя” (according to the Russian-Lithuanian annals) which coincides with the name of the big tributary of the Bog river (Southern Bug) and as the settlement of the new territories began in the interfluve of these two rivers (according to the archeological data it began in the first quarter of the 13th century), this name should be considered an agrarian-symbolic (kindred-sacral) hydronym.

The life of our ancestors in the times of the internecine wars in the Duchy of Lithuania was truly hard. From 1400 till 1569 Vinnytsia went through 30 devastating attacks by the Tatars. However the town developed into an economic and cultural center under those hard conditions. The oldest record mentioning a Vinnytsia resident, a student of Krakow University and the oldest record about the first craftsman dates to 1649. In 1545 there were 273 houses in Vinnytsia, in 7 years there were already 429 houses. After the construction of the fortress on the Kempa Island had been finished in 1558 the “New town” appeared on the right bank of Southern Bug and the “Old town” went on developing on the left bank.

According to the Union of Lublin Vinnytsia became a part of Poland and since 1598 had been the centre of the Bracław Voivodeship. The evidence of the important role of Vinnytsia in the region’s economic life are privileges of the duty-free trade on the territory of Duchy of Lithuania given in 1580, 1593 and 1634 and the Magdeburg Rights given to the town in 1640.

Important processes took place in the spiritual life of the townsmen. The Catholics finished the construction of two monasteries in 1617 and 1624 and in 1642 they opened a Jesuitical collegium. The Brotherhood of Kuzma and Demjan became popular among the Orthodox. The brotherhood supported a Ukrainian brotherhood school since the last quarter of the 16th century. Thanks to the efforts of the well-known cultural figure Peter Mogyla and associated judge of the Bracław Voivodeship Mykhailo Kropyvnytskyi an Orthodox collegium was opened in 1632.

The crucial event in the city’s history of that century was the defeat of the Polish troops in the battle with Cossacks in 1651, under famous Ivan Bogun’s command. In 1643 and 1653 Bogdan Khmelnytskyi visited Vinnytsia. During 1653-1667 Vinnytsia was regimental town of the hetman’s state.

 «Winnica Gub. Podolska», picture of Napoleon Orda, 1872

Powerful economic growth of Vinnytsia was caused by construction of the railway Kyiiv-Balta in 1871 and opening of the railway communication between Kazatin and Zdolbunov. Since that time sugar industry began developing swiftly, mostly due to German capital investments. The town changed a lot in the beginning of the 20th century. In 1911 the first urban water supply was built and electric lighting was installed. In 1912 Zamostie District was connected with the centre by tram and construction of the super phosphate plant was over. Since 1914 Vinnytsia is the administrative centre of Podilska province.

Since November, 1918 till May, 1920 Vinnytsia became place of residence of the government authorities of the Ukrainian People’s Republic in the difficult phase of the Ukrainian Revolution and exactly here, in Savoi Hotel fundamental, crucial for national statehood decisions were made.

In 1923 the city became the centre of the district and starting from 1931 it is the administrative centre of the established Vinnytsia oblast. In Soviet times Vinnytsia was the centre of engineering, electronic, chemical industries and design-and-engineering institutes.

 Vinnytsia river fountain

Since Ukraine gained independence all the giants of the Soviet industry ceased to exist. As a rule, instead of the former powerful plants more compact economic patterns with lesser production volumes appeared which specialize in producing practical everyday products and developing service and trade. Nowadays Vinnytsia has stretched out for 12 km on both beautiful banks of Southern Bug. It is constantly growing, getting more beautiful and acquiring European traits. Under existing economic, social and other conditions Vinnytsia keeps on developing as an industrial and administrative centre of the oblast implicated with the other regions of the country.


Things to Know about Vinnytsia

Web-camera at Kozitsky square
 Vinnytsia from a bird's eye view
Vinnytsia from a bird's eye view

Emergency Phone Numbers

  • Fire protection service: 101, 35-53-35
  • Emergency service in Vinnytsia region: 502-911, 555-911
  • Police: 102, 59-33-26
  • Emergency: 103
  • Gas breakdown service: 104
  • Elevator breakdown service: 16-40, 67-54-40, 61-20-60
  • Electricity network breakdown service: 53-60-66, 68-28-32
  • Water supply supervisory service: 67-02-60, 67-16-17
  • Vinnytsia heat network: 67-01-19

Directory-inquiry Services

  • Long-distance information of Vinnytsia city and Vinnytsia oblast: +380 (43) 9910911
  • Directory-inquiry service of Vinnytsia city: 109, 176, 177
  • Municipal hot line service “Twenty-four-hour Guard”: 1560, 59-50-39
  • Pharmaceutical information: 1567
  • Ukrainian post service (Vinnytsia management): 67-00-11, 67-00-04

Taxi Phone Numbers

  • Vympel Taxi: 555-777, 555-775
  • Avenue Taxi: 555-400, (063) 262-66-55
  • Atlant-Mv Taxi: 50-50-50, 66-01-31, (097) 500-51-25
  • Mobile Taxi: 555-550
  • Taxi 057: 1557, 55-50-57, (067) 275-60-57
  • Taxi 068: 1568, 35-06-60
  • Private Taxi: 1506, 26-50-22, 55-50-06, (067) 780-20-55, (093) 887-66-66
  • Blitz-Taxi: 555-444
  • Elite Taxi: 555-055

National Bank's currency exchange

Dollar by NBU   Euro by NBU

Banks of Vinnytsia


 Vinnytsia from a bird's eye view

Places of Interest in Vinnytsia

Vinnytsia is an old and beautiful city with interesting history; however it is also a modern and a quickly developing European city. That’s why the guests of our city can find many attractions here. In Vinnytsia region there are many beautiful nature sights, places of historic importance, connected with heroic past of the Ukrainian nation, parks, museums, monuments and busts which immortalize the outstanding people of Ukraine. Visit Vinnytsia and discover the secrets of our past and feel the energy of the present.

Local History Museum of Vinnytsia Oblast

 Local History Museum of Vinnytsia Oblast

This museum contains the biggest collection of historical, ethnographic and cultural materials in Vinnytsia region. The museum is situated in the very centre of Vinnytsia. Since 1929 it occupies a building, a part of the monument of national importance called “Vinnytsia walls” (Jesuitical complex built in the middle of 18th century). This museum is a well-known methodological centre and also a centre of monuments preservation in the Eastern Podillia. Its fund count nearly 100 thousand museum pieces; among them there is a unique collection of golden jewels of the Bronze Age and the Sarmatians Period which has been exhibited at 6 international exhibitions.

Address: 19, Soborna str., 21100 Vinnytsia. (0432) 35-31-30. See in Google maps


National Memorial-estate and Burial Vault of Mykola Pyrogov

 Burial Vault of Mykola Pyrogov

It is situated in the south-western part of Vinnytsia, in the beautiful estate Vyshnia, where the famous scientist, surgeon, anatomist, inventor of field surgery, founder of Red Cross, pedagogue and public figure Mykola Ivanovych Pyrogov lived and worked during 20 years before his death (1861-1881). The museum refers to the most important objects of Ukrainian cultural heritage and takes a special place in the internal and international tourism.

Address: 155, Pyrogov str., 21008 Vinnytsia. (0432) 43-71-49.
Working hours: 10:00-17:30, ticket office: till 17:00. Day-off: Monday. See in Google maps


Literary-memorial Museum of Mykhailo Kotsiubynskyi

 Literary-memorial Museum of Mykhailo Kotsiubynskyi

It is a museum of the Ukrainian classic author Mykhailo Kotsiubynskyi, situated in his birth-house. It is one of the first literary-memorial museums in Ukraine. The exposition is monographic and is placed in five rooms which gradually discover the live, public activities and creative work of the author. The visitors of the museum can see the first edition of story «Fata Morgana», published in 1904. Over 30 thousand people visit the museum every year.

Address: 15, Bevz str. (0432) 26-32-98. Working hours: 10:00 - 18:00. Day-off - Wednesday. See in Google maps


Hitler’s Headquarters “Werwolf”

 Ruins of Werwolf

Translated from German Werwolf means werewolf (mythic creature, a man who turns into a wolf). Hitler’s headquarters “Werwolf” are situated 8 km to the north from Vinnytsia. During the World War II the headquarters were used by the Germans for commanding military operations on the Eastern front. Hitler visited the headquarters not less than 3 times. The longest period of his stay here was since 16th, July till 31st, October 1942. Later the headquarters were used by Commander of army group “South”, field marshal Erich von Manstein. In December 1943 the Germans decided to destroy the object. In March 1944 before the retreat of the German troops the headquarters were blown up.

Except the rests of the destroyed buildings and the territory of the former headquarters there is a museum of the World War II with many exhibits: from German heavy tanks to post cards and orders of those times.

Address: 8 km from Vinnytsia, near settlement Stryshavka and Kolo-Mykhailivka. See in Google maps


Vinnytsia State Academic Music and Drama Theatre named after Mykola Sadovskyi

 Theatre named after Mykola Sadovskyi

Visit Vinnytsia State Drama Theatre situated in the city centre at address: 13 Teatralna str. This theatre enjoys popularity among the intellectuals of Vinnytsia. It’s an adornment of the city, centre of its artistic life, where the sublime and eternity reign. This temple of Melponene was built in 1910. Initially only visiting actors played on its stage; however in 1920 Ignat Iura established here a stationary drama theatre where Amvrosii Buchma, Olexii Vatulia, Volodymyr Sokyrko, Feodosiia Barvinska and others played.

Address: 13, Teatralna str., Vinnytsia See in Google maps


Podilia Landscape Gallery

The photos of Podilia views were kindly given by photo artist Grygorii Gorobchuk. You can see his works at Google Picasa and Panoramio
Contacts:  +38 (050) 387-07-19  

Please click a thumbnail to enlarge a picture.